Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Car Caught Fire

Two-Dents When He was New-Dents!

I own a 1991 Grand Marque named Two-Dents. I love Two-Dents. I bought him for $500 four months ago and the most trouble he ever gave me was the day I brought him home. We weren't even out of Toms River yet and the car started to smoke, so we pulled over and put some water in the exhaust or something. (Cars really aren't my forte.) My boyfriend poured water somewhere into the hood of the car to cool it down.


Then, off we went until about exit 77 on the New Jersey State Parkway when it started smoking again, at which time I handed the reigns off to my boyfriend who decided after some deliberation to gun the engine, which only put us at about 40 MPH, my car was so shot at that point, it was a miracle we  made it into a rest area. As we parked my boyfriend said, "Thank God. All my stress is gone." Then, while I was on the phone, talking to his brother about what we should do to fix Two-Dents, my boyfriend got out and started walking around my car.


And then, "Fire! Fire! Get out of the car!"


My boyfriend's friend and I jumped out of the car and while his friend ran into the rest stop I turned around and in one of my brief but often moments of stupidity, I said, "But I don't have any money."


He stopped and rolled his eyes, "Just talk on the phone!"


So I went over to the car to answer my boyfriend's brother's alarmed question about the fire, "Is it really red or are their flames?"


I stooped down to the wheel and said very calmly, "No, there's flames." In which case he screamed to get away from it and so I did. After that, I questioned exactly how I had survived this long on earth. Seriously...

No comments:

Post a Comment